Power up your bike to find the treasure
During the month of October, The EcoMatters Bike Hubs are encouraging cyclists to get on their bikes as part of The Power Box Bike Challenge for Biketober, Auckland’s annual festival of bicycle fun.
Participants will have the opportunity to explore their neighbourhood in search of painted power boxes all across Auckland. The month-long treasure hunt is sponsored by 99 Bikes (formerly Bike Barn) and funded by the Auckland Transport Community Bike Fund.
EcoMatters is an established charitable trust formed in 2002 delivering environmental initiatives to restore nature, reduce waste, ride and fix bikes, in a bid to live more sustainably. Their Bike Hubs work with cyclists to provide access to bikes, parts, tools and advice, with the goal of getting more people using bikes as a mode of transport. They operate in partnership with key organisations, such as Auckland Council, the Ministry for the Environment and other not-for-profits and community groups.
There is more than $1000 worth of great prizes up for grabs, so dust off that bike in the shed, gear up and give it a go. See below for details of entry and the prize list.
HOW TO ENTER
- Visit a painted power box in Auckland by bike
- Take a photo which includes the painted power box, you and your bike
- Join the EcoMatters Bike Hubs Facebook group and post your photo. Include the street name and suburb of the power box
- Each photo of you, your bike and a different power box is one entry for the prize draw, but if you tag a friend in your post and invite them to the challenge, your entry counts twice
(There is also an option to include a story about your bike ride to enter the competition for Best Story.)
- $800 gift voucher with 99 Bikes
- $250 gift voucher with 99 Bikes – Judges’ Prize for Best Story
- Random spot prizes will also be awarded throughout the month
Find out more at ecomatters.org.nz/bikechallenge